Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 7206VXR from an 7500 series

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaLazernet

IS-IT--Management
Dec 16, 2004
US
Hey everyone, first let me just say - thank you all for such a great place for asking/solving cisco questions/problems!

My company is currently upgrading (or downgrading?) their 7500 series router to a new 7206VXR unit. First, the configuration. We have 75 T1 lines coming in on 2 T3 lines. Each T3 line (BNC connector) is connected to an ADC Kentrox unit. Each of those has a cable connected to a different card/slot on our 7500 (Hssi1 and Hssi4).

Our new 7206VXR was purchased with a 2DS3+ card that is specifically for two T3 lines (and has these BNC connectors that the ADC Kentroxes have). I copied the configuration over, because it should be relatively the same, no? ...and I changed all of the Hssi1 and Hssi4's to Serial1/0 and Serial1/1. All of the T1 lines are defined in the format Serial1/0.1 and Serial1/0.2, etc. Well, the router liked the configuration, etc...but when I connected the two T3 lines to the card and started it up - the interface goes up, but then down after a minute or so. There are no alarm lights or anything abnormal -- just one green light per T3 line that means it sees the connection. Am I missing something here?

Sample bit of my configuration:
version 12.3
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1
description Ethernet to Cisco 3548 switch port 3
ip address 206.187.40.131 255.255.255.128
duplex auto
speed auto
media-type rj45
negotiation auto
!
interface Serial1/0
description T3 line no 1
no ip address
encapsulation frame-relay
dsu bandwidth 44210
framing c-bit
cablelength 10
serial restart-delay 0
no arp frame-relay
frame-relay traffic-shaping
frame-relay lmi-type ansi
!

interface Serial1/0.1 point-to-point
description T1 line no 1
bandwidth 768
ip address 206.203.39.109 255.255.255.252
ip access-group 101 out
ip ospf network broadcast
no arp frame-relay
frame-relay class cir768
frame-relay interface-dlci 225
!
interface Serial1/0.2 point-to-point
description T1 line no 2
ip address 206.203.38.233 255.255.255.252
ip access-group 101 out
frame-relay class cir768
frame-relay interface-dlci 226
!

interface Serial1/1
description T3 line no 2
no ip address
encapsulation frame-relay
dsu bandwidth 44210
framing c-bit
cablelength 10
serial restart-delay 0
no arp frame-relay
frame-relay traffic-shaping
frame-relay lmi-type ansi
!
interface Serial1/1.1 point-to-point
description T1 line no 45
ip address 206.203.39.245 255.255.255.252
frame-relay class cir768
frame-relay interface-dlci 200
!
router ospf 1000
log-adjacency-changes
redistribute static subnets
network 172.16.32.0 0.0.0.255 area 206.187.42.0
network 172.16.33.0 0.0.0.255 area 206.187.42.0
network 192.168.0.0 0.0.255.255 area 206.187.42.0
network 206.187.42.0 0.0.0.255 area 0.0.0.0
network 206.203.28.0 0.0.0.255 area 206.187.42.0
.......etc.........
map-class frame-relay cir768
frame-relay traffic-rate 768000 1500000
frame-relay cir 768000
frame-relay be 732000
!
map-class frame-relay circ768
logging 206.187.42.57
logging 0.0.0.0
access-list 101 deny tcp any any eq 135
access-list 101 deny tcp any any eq 139
access-list 101 deny tcp any any eq 445
access-list 101 permit ip any any
!

Any advice would be kindly appreciated...

sh ip int br reveals:
Serial1/0 and Serial1/1 as status up, but protocol down...and both status and protocol down for all sub interfaces....

- Eric

Just throwing out an idea here..but I believe Cisco frame-relay encapsulation defaults to a cisco propriety type of encapsulation...to do universal multi-vendor, you'd need the 'frame-relay encapsulation ietf' command on the physical interface. Its possible that your service provider and your router are set to different encapsulation types??

You dont have the controllers and the timeslots defined.

I dont have a VXR in front of me, but I believe the global configuration command is...

"controller T3 x/x" (where x/x is the slot/unit number)

From there you can specify the framing type, clock source, linecode, and the timeslots. Some of the default settings should work, but some might have to be changed according to your ISP. Most importantly, you might have to issue a "no shut" command when finished.

A "show controllers" command should verify that they are up.

Also, you can do a "show frame-relay lmi" and "show frame-relay pvc" to look at the circuit status and statistics. One will tell you if the PVC status is active, and one will tell you if the router is successfully trading LMI packets with your ISP....among other helpful features.

Another good tool is to issue the "show interface Serialx/x" command. That will tell you if there are any input/output errors and will tell you the LMI statistics. At the very bottom, it will show you what timeslots are being used, and at which rate (should be either 64K or 56K, you might need to switch that depending on what your ISP has).

Lastly, make sure none of your interfaces are administratively down.

Let me know if any of this helps...

Unbelievable....thank you for that great advice regarding the controller command - unfortunately, this unit (or rather the IOS) does not understand that command - but from everywhere I looked, it mentions the controller options for T3, etc. The unit actually came with the wrong version of the IOS - a very stripped down version (and not the IP Plus we ordered it with...), so I had to contact them to download the right version, etc...

Now it seems that it isn't recognizing that command, and I'm 99% sure it should work...so I'm contacting them again...perhaps I need yet another/different version to make this work. The trouble goes on...

- Eric

I apologize as I was thought you were using channelized port adaptors. If you are using a PA-2T3+ card, then forget what I said about the controllers. I may be overlooking something else with your configuration. Like I said its been a while since I last worked with DS3s (Im stuck in cable world right now), so this is all based off my memory. Perhaps someone here that is more familiar with them can give you better input.

I would make sure your circuit and frame-relay settings are correct. c-bit framing? correct bandwidth? Encapsulation type? Correct DLCI number? LMI type? Even the cable length (you have it set to 10 feet).

Forgot to mention about the clock source. You may need to specify that on the interface - "clock source internal", for example.

Whatever the case, the local port configuration must match the remote port configuration.

Thanks very much for the help/support. I figured this out shortly after I wrote my reply. How would I probe to find out what the DSUs (old external ones) are configured with? No doubt, this internal DSU dual T3 card will need those same settings. The external DSUs connected via HSSI ports are ADC Kentrox boxes.

Many thanks,
- Eric

How are the DS3's being presented to the cisco box?

is it a clear channel ds3 or channelized?

if it channelized you have the wrong PA adaptor..

BuckWeet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back