Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 7206 console int

Status
Not open for further replies.

legion

MIS
Aug 19, 2001
US
I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem before and what they did to fix it. I just took over a 7206 router from a previous administrator and I tried to get into the router through the console port, but nothing comes up. I have hyperterm set to the usual (9600,8,N,2) and it shows connected, but there is absolutely nothing on the screen except the curser. I've changed adapters, cables, and even tried opening it up in Procom Plus to no avail.

Did the previous admin somehow close down the console port because I can telnet into the router fine, or does it sound like cableing or a hyperterm config problem? any help would be great.

Telnet into the router and paste the config of the console port here and perhaps we can tell you whats wrong.

The console port's config begins with "line con 0"
shnypr-small.gif

did you try the aux port? you will need a think the female connector. Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

I believe the console settings are 9600,8,N,1 ... you said you have it set to 8,N,2. Maybe it's a typo but I'm sure it would make a difference.

And I agree, a copy of the config would be helpful.

Rainman

The 7200 series router uses 8 N 2, not the normal 8 N 1. I thought it was odd myself but hey thats what Cisco wants. I havent tried the aux port but I do have a female adapter also. I'll give that a shot on monday.

I'm sure it's 9600,8,n,1

I'm in my 7206 right now

You could telnet in and clear all the configs off of line 0 if any

do a show users and see if there is a hung session.

Are you using a flat or straight through console cable? 7200 series use the flat Cat 5 cable. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back