Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cisco 678 adsl modem... doesn't respond, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

volk125

Technical User
Jul 10, 2003
CA
I just bought a Cisco 678 ADSL modem off ebay and I tried to connect to it through the management port however all I see is:
Hello!
Expnading CBOS image...
CBOS v2.3.5.014 - Release Software

after that there's supposed to be a password prompt but it displays nothing and just hangs there. I also tried getting into debug mode (RMON) by pressin CTRL-C when the alarm light goes on for a second and that doesn't work either. I simply cannot get it to respond. I used 38400 baud rate, 8-n-1, no flow control by the book. how can I bring it to life? maybe short something on the board to erase the NVRAM or something?

Sometimes terminal emulator break sequence does not work.....try setting baud to 1200...power cycle the router and hold the space bar as it boots. Reset the baud rate back and see if you get any response. Worth a shot.

actually I was trying to use a console cable that came with 1800 and 2800 series cisco routers at work. So I made one myself and it works perfectly. Modem has no problems. But I never knew that those console cables could be different.

Some use straight through...some rollover... and some really old models use a null modem console cable...just depends on the device.

that one needed the null modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back