Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 5500 Power supply failures 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

offy

MIS
Dec 9, 1999
GB
Please Help!!!!!!!<br><br>I Have 4 x 5500 switches all been up and running for a week now,But I have looked at the log file and system shows all 4 switches have had 5 or 6 power supply failures.<br><br>Things are still running o.k but the question is where do I start looking on the system in relation to this problem.<br><br>Please help I am not a guru at this but am willing to try and learn.<br><br>Thanks in advance<br><br>Offy<br>

We were having similar problems with some of our buildings.&nbsp;&nbsp;It turned out to be caused by old electrical wiring causing power surges and brownouts.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;To fix the problem we installed APC UPS systems, for the 5500's we used the APC 3000 with an external battery.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;This gives you about 30-40 of uptime on a fully populated switch, which really doesn't&nbsp;&nbsp;mean a whole lot because most computers would be down anyway in the event of a power outage.<br><br>I would have a certified electrician examine the wiring in the building.&nbsp;&nbsp;Just to make sure that it is up to date.<br><br>Also, I would open a case with Cisco TAC to make sure that it isn't a hardware issue with the switch.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>I would still recommend investing in some kind of UPS system to protect your switches.

Thanks bmorritt!<br><br>I will try the electricians because this building has been up and running for about a month now and I have only installed these switches 2 weeks ago.<br><br>I have noticed today a few power surges through our lighting system in the office.<br><br>This seems to happen only when the air-conditioning unit outside kicks in.(air-con is the size of aircraft engine)<br><br>I do have a UPS connected to these switches but obviously not working to it's full potential,so will query those as well to whether they give enough output to the switches if the surge happens.<br><br>Once again thankyou and I will keep you posted with my results......<br><br>Offy<br><br>UK<br><br>

Some UPS systems are built differently than others...From what I remember some kick over to battery power when ever the normal AC kicks off and others always run off the battery power with the system constantly charging the battery.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;If yours is the first type then it may not always be quick enough for your switches.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Just a possibility. <br><br>But the lights flickering when the Air-conditioning kicks on would worry me.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;They also build power conditioners, that are actually made to keep the power constant.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;We use a power conditioner for our data center and all of the ITS computers with a UPS system and a backup generator incase of a complete power failure.<br><br><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back