Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 3725 Frame Relay E1 Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

c1sc0m4n

ISP
Sep 11, 2003
GB
Hi,

I have to install a Cisco 3725 with Frame Relay, but need to "bundle" 2 x E1 PRI Circuits together to form 4MB Line. My question is, can this be done using a normal E1 Controller?? If so how?? I know that Frame Relay can do Multilink. Also, I will be setting up a VPN to the States from UK - is there any issues I need to be aware of - can I do this with standard IOS??

Hopefully someone can help - maybe a CCIE genius out there??

Ta

I cannot answer your first question, but for the VPN you'll need an 3DES IPSec feature set IOS.
Also, depending on the access circuit speed and number of IPSec tunnels you may need a VPN accelerator card. Cisco do some VPN bundles that come complete with IOS and card fitted, may be cheaper to get the bundle.

There will be at most 2 Tunnels needed. Does this mean that aditional Hardware is needed - at present I have 1 x C3725 and 1 x 4 port E1 Controller Card. BTW, if anyone reads this thread who knows, my question still stands - can you bundle 2 x E1's together using public Frame?? - to form 4MBPS.

The 3725 router will be fine for suporting 2 IPSec 3DES tunnels, I dont see the need for purchasing an encryption module initially. Just get the 3DES IPSec feature set. You may need more RAM and /or Flash, although as this this a new router its probably well specd anyway.

I had a look at the possibility of parallel E1 links with frame, this document describes some options (Cisco.com login required)

It appears its only possible with either PPP multilink or ATM.

What are you trying to do, another way may be to use 2 E1 access circuits and have 2 PVC's, one on each, then use IP CEF to load share across these?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back