Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 3620 router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I was recently given an old cisco 3620 router, It is installed with two WIC-1T modules, I was wondering if anybody new a way to use this with a cable modem.

Sure.. sell it and get a 2514, 1605, 2611 or 2621. All of these are dual ethernet that you can use with the cable modem/DSL/ADSL etc. If you do this right, you will end up a few hundred dollars ahead since a 2514 average price is about 400 right now.

MikeS
Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

It wouldnt be possible to get a second ethernet module for the 3620, I cant sell it cause its on long term loan. and i have to be able to return it when it is needed again.

Ah.. I misunderstood the word *given*

It is possible to get a 2nd ethernet WIC card for it but they are not cheap.. even on ebay. But with careful shopping around, who knows what you might find.

MikeS
Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

Thanks for the help. I will look around for that, i might just end up getting another router though.

I think you would probably be better off getting something else. Like Wybenormal said, Ethernet modules are not cheap and you can get a cheap broadband router for under $100.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back