Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 3600 Router down

Status
Not open for further replies.

preeda

Technical User
Oct 9, 2002
TH
Hello all,

I have consistense problem with my 3600 router. This router support ~300 ATM (I am working in the Bank). Around once a month the router will down with unidentified reason. I show process cpu, it runs around 10%, and free mem at 34 M, while the problem still exist. I guess, I have monitored the wrong parameter, or probably bug in IOS (12.0) Can anyone suggest me some othere area, I shoud look at, and how.

Thanks,
Preeda

Aside from having a security issue (ie, someone doing this to you intentially each month), it sounds like you have a memory and/or stack issue. I would definitely try a different IOS image on there. Check the bug finder on TAC and check the features you are using to see which IOS is the recommended load. Dont use an IOS feature set with more features than you need. Try and "keep it simple". Network Learning Inc

Dear,

You should capture event one moment before your router
shutdown, please enable debug feature in your router and direct that output to syslog server. Even if your router shutdown you can see what happen before your router shutdown.

may be this is one of dos attack , please check packet detail that arrive in your router, because cisco IOS is vulnerable to dos attack (via udp lower port), then you can filter it based on udp port.

regards,
Herri

Thank you so much for fast response,
1) How can I get the bug finder ? Is it free ?
2) Which debug parameter I should turn on in this situation ?, and what comand will bring the debug output to syslog server ? I am familiar with only debugging X.X.X.X, which bring the log output to systlog server.

Thanks again,
Preeda

Hello

I think you need "Bug Toolkit" , located on It req. CCO login.
Also , if you try to change IOS on your cisco you may try Feature Navigator ( , it's a fine tool to find IOS with features that are really need for you. It also req.CCO login.
Also ,you may type command "show tech-support" and mail output to me. (its big output)

Really , you need to capture same moment before rebooting , various MRTG from your router may be helpful (memory,cpu,errors,and so on).

But "simplest troubleshooting step" is a change IOS.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back