Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 3550 with in-line power and IP phones 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

newphonedoer

IS-IT--Management
Mar 22, 2004
US
I left this same post in the Avaya: Definity forum.

Is anyoneone using the 4602 IP phones with a cisco 3550 w/in-line power?? We are trying to set some up in one of our locations. They seem to work ok with the cicso in-line power blade switch but we are having problems with the above switch. The odd thing is that our 4610IP phone works fine with this same 3550. Any thoughts??

Thanks.

The 3550 switch can only supply power using Cisco's 'pre-standard' method and not via 802.3af. To my knowledge the Avaya phones are not capable of using this power source. You will need to replace the switch if you want to power the Avaya phones. There is no method of upgrade to make a 3550 put out 802.3af power.

You want a 3560 switch. It conforms to the POE standard.

It is what it is!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back