Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 3550-EMI Routing (L3) Throughput

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonas21

Technical User
Nov 27, 2002
DE
Hi,

does anyone actually use the 3550-EMI for routing?
I would like to know whether
a) this works
b) how much throughput the 3550 can do on routing
c) this is a good idea

Is there any router (36xx?) i could compare the throughput to?

Thanks,
Jonas

This switch won't do wire speed layer3, but it will route fast enough for most of what you are wanting to do. It will be a lot faster than you having a 3600 do it for you.

-Bad Dos

baddos where do you get the information stating the 3550 will not do wirespeed layer 3 forwarding? Network World Fusion reckon it had faultless L3 performance.
For InterVLAN routing the 3550 is great, and if your network has more than the supported 64000 OSPF learnt routes, 4500 RIP routes you probably wouldn't be looking at the baby 3550!
The basic WS-C3550-24 with SMI features will give you static and RIP v1/v2 routing (after 12.1.13EA1), the EMI gives you OSPF, EIGRP, BGP and PIM.

Yes... I'm wrong. If you don't do any filtering or policy routing, it will do layer3. It's a nice switch. :)

-Bad Dos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back