Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 3550 and Nortel CS1000 Connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

techma2

Vendor
Mar 2, 2010
US
Hello,
I have a Nortel CS1000 that was pulled from service but already programmed. I am trying to test some 1220E and 1140E Nortel phones by plugging them into a Cisco 3550. I am not sure how to administer the 3550 so that the DHCP on the phones and CS1000 can speak to each other and light up the phones.

These are some IP addresses configured into the Nortel CS1000 server.
137.135.128.253 Call Server
" " " .19 Signaling Server
" " " .10 Media Controller Gateway
" " " .4 IP Telephony Node
10.12.97.20 Node IP
10.12.97.19 Signaling Server Node
10.12.97.4 MCG32S card

I think I need to program the Signaling Server Node into the initial configuration of the Cisco 3550 as the primary interface. When I do nothing happens. I also think I need to configure the 3550 with these commands but can't seem to access them when I enable the Cisco at the "#". I gave the Cisco the name NORTEL. I have gone in and added these commands before I added the switch addresses.
interface FastEthernet0/1
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1Q
mls qos trust cos

I may have to go in and flash_init and start over with the initial configuration. I'm not sure how to set the port speed in the 3550 without exiting the configuration but it won't let me when I'm in the NORTEL#. I think I'm close but maybe way off!! Please help! Thanks.

I don't know how a Nortel voice system works, but it seems unlikely that a Cisco 3550 will be any kind of "signalling server".
The phones will "light up" if you have a 3550-PWR, otherwise you will need power packs for them.
You should look at the interface configurations on the CS1000 - your switch will need to support these.
Then, you need to configure a VLAN for the handsets and configure the Voice subnet on that.
Then, you need to use DHCP (or manual config on the phones) to assign to the phones their voice VLAN and their config server and/or call server.

Thank you Vince. The signaling server is on the CS1000 phone switch. I am using the Cisco 3550 to power the phones and trying to get it to pass the information from the phone system to the phones so they will boot. The phones I have and the CS1000 were operable in a customer's site. The Cisco 3550 wasn't in use with it.

I have a Netgear 8 port 10/100 desktop switch in between the CS1000 and the 3550. My problem is I don't know how to get the phones to see the DHCP through the Cisco.

Is the 3550 routing for the subnets the phones are on?
If so, then you need an IP HELPER on the interface that is doing this routing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back