Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 2960 unable to access subnets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kawdude

MIS
Nov 3, 2002
US
Please review:
January has been spent in the data closet moving from Netgear to Cisco and sorting out a wiring nightmare.

On this network the short overview is this:

Three subnets used:
172.20.1.x
192.168.112.x
128.1.27.x

All IP addresses are static 128. is full. 192. not in too bad of shape but needs to be reorganized somewhat. 172. best canidate so far for use.

So I added all ten Cisco 2960 series units with a 172.20.1.X address.

Problem:
Every three days I've moved 12 to 24 connections from the netgears over to the cisco switches. First three switches were popluated and the fourth switch was also popluated with the first 24 connections. Nearly 200 connections moved and everyone was doing well until I finished adding the remaining connections to switch number four.

IPs at 192 and 128 subnets cannot be reached. I can however manage the switches from a workstation with a 172 address.
No vlans have been created just basic configuration on the switches. Here's the configuration from the first 2960 and all the other are the same just the name and ip increment by one.

Current configuration : 2333 bytes
!
version 12.2
no service pad
service timestamps debug uptime
service timestamps log uptime
no service password-encryption
!
hostname 2960-1
!
enable secret 5 ( removed )
!
no aaa new-model
system mtu routing 1500
ip subnet-zero
!
!
!
!
no file verify auto
spanning-tree mode pvst
spanning-tree extend system-id
!
vlan internal allocation policy ascending
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
(shortened)
interface FastEthernet0/48
switchport mode trunk
macro description cisco-switch
auto qos voip trust
spanning-tree link-type point-to-point
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/2
!
interface Vlan1
ip address 172.20.1.135 255.255.255.0
no ip route-cache
!
ip default-gateway 172.20.1.8
ip http server
snmp-server community (removed)
snmp-server community (removed)
snmp-server location (removed)
snmp-server contact (removed)
!
control-plane
!
!
line con 0
line vty 0 4
password (removed)
login
line vty 5 15
password (removed)
login
!
end

I know this is not alot of information to go on and I will be contacting Cisco for help but thought I'd throw this out here to see if any of you with Cisco switching experience may be able to help right away.

It maybe a trunking issue but I don't have enough switching setup experience and the research done so far has finally just totally confused me more. Therefore kicking back a few minutes here to reload on this and maybe pickup and idea or two and then get back into the battle.

Thanks in advance.

If you haven't configured VLANs, how does your router route between subnets?
It might help to see the config on the router - where is 172.20.1.8 exactly?

Also you've snipped too much of the interface config - they're not *all* configured as trunks, I suppose?

Also, please understand that the IP address you decide to put on the switches relates *only* to management of those switches and has nothing to do with their switching function.
In other words, your workstations do not have to be in the same VLAN as the switch management address. (In fact, many people prefer a "management" VLAN for the switch ip subnet).

You need to create 3 VLANs on all four Cisco switches & you also need either a Layer 3 switch or a Router on a Stick for Inter-Vlan routing.

It should go something like this . It sounds like maybe you have bridged 2 vlans together somehow.

conf t
vtp mode transparent
vlan 172 ,hit enter
vlan 192 ,hit enter
vlan 128 , hit enter

Put the ports into the correct vlans for example

interface range f0/1 - 10
switchport access vlan 172
exit
interface range f0/1 - 11
switchport access vlan 192
exit