Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 2950 and Intel Pro 1000 MT 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlespeechumuthu

Technical User
Dec 2, 2002
US
Hi,
We are running Novell 4.1 server with IPX protocol attached to Cisco 2950 (12.1(6)EA2c). We have mix of Compaq Evo and IBM ThinkCentre has desktops running XP Pro with clinet for Netware from Microsoft.
Compaq has Intel pro 100 VM network cards
IBM has either Intel Pro 100 VE or Intel Pro 1000 MT network cards.
Compaq has no problem logging to Netware server from bootup (Cold start).
IBM with Intel Pro 100 VE or 1000 MT wont log on to Netware from bootup unless I wait for about 30 secs before logging on at logon prompt.
Intel Pro 100 VE machines if I hard set it for 100MB FuLL Duplex (Switch still on Auto) from XP network properties, It will logon to Netware server right away from cold start.
Intel Pro 1000 MT, no matter if I setup 100 MB full Duplex or Half Duplex on both Switch and XP Pro or 1000 Full Duplex/ half duplex on both switch and XP pro, it wont logon on first attempt. Either I have to wait for 30 secs or logon,logoff and then logon again to get into Netware Server. ( I also tried hard setting only switch for 10, 100 or 1000 FD or HD and also only the NIC for the same. No luck)

Any one has seen this before? Even though work around is to wait for 30 secs, users some time find it annoying.
Any help is appreciated

-Charles
P.S We have another Network running Netware 6.0 with IP and IBM ThinkCentre with Intel Pro VM only (attached to Cisco 2950 Switches) which does not have any problems logging on.
I have not tried Netware 6 with IPX.

You need to apply the "switchport host" command to all user ports .You can apply it to multiple ports at once using the interface range command . This will turn off trunking,channeling and turn on portfast for all ports that you designate , it sounds like all your ports are all going thru the complete spanning tree cyle , this command will eliminate that . Only use this command on end user ports .

Looking at your post it looks like you did a lot of changing of speeds and duplex . simple rule , if the switch end is set as auto then the end user must be set as auto . If you hard code the switch speed to say 100/full then you must hardcode the end user nic as 100/full otherwise you will have speed and duplex mismatches which will cause all types errors and slow response . As far as the logon problem this sounds like the ports do not have portfast turned on , see previous post .

With novell, you need to set the speed and duplex, it can not be auto. for some resion novell and cisco can not handle both of them being on auto detect.

I think this is a listed problem with netware 4.x

That's not a problem as long as you set the switch at 100/full also otherwise you have duplex mismatches.

Thank You vipergg.
" You need to apply the "switchport host" command to all user ports " - that did it.

-Charles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back