Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 2900 XL Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

star3132

Instructor
Mar 19, 2003
US
I am a novice networking user and am trying to use a Cisco Catalyst 2900 XL to block certain ports from our network. Certain users are using the network to use AOL Instant Messanger, Yahoo, KaZaa, Etc. during class and we are trying to stop it. Also, we would like to block Internet access (on port 8002 due to Proxy) at certain times.
To accomplish this, the only way I can see is to assign access-lists to the switch. I have the following lists:

access-list 102 allow tcp any any eq 524 (524 is the networking port ? to allow users to save files to network.)

The switch is connected by Port #3 to a fiber line to the main server. To impliment the rule, I have found this command:

interface fastethernet 0/3
ip access-group 102 out
ip access-group 102 in

However, the fastethernet port does not reconize this command.. I am not sure if i have given enough information, but if you can decipher what I mean, please help! :)

-Anthony Warren

You can't do this with this switch. The 2900 switch is layer2 only. You can only do this on a layer3 switch or a router.

-Bad Dos

Thanks for the quick response! :)

Is there any other way to block these ports using the Cisco Switch? Or is there another piece of hardware, such as a firewall or router, we would need to buy? Thanks.

-Anthony

Firewall is what you need, if you want to be cheap you could always do a BSD/Linux based firewall...

BuckWeet

Any router will be able to do acess-lists but, once again, I concur with BuckWeet that a firewall is what you really need. If you don't trust yourself with BSD Cisco's PIX is nice, as is Sonicwall's. ----------------------------------------
Wasabi Pop Tarts! Write Kellogs today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back