Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 2630 router, problem WIC / Ethernet0/0

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkonner

MIS
Apr 28, 2001
US
Howdy,

I am lost. I have a Cisco 2630 router (which I am replacing). The router has one WIC card and two ethernet ports (plus the console and aux ports). I have a full T1. If I configure the WIC card, which is serial0/0, and do not configure Ethernet0/0, I am able to ping the outside world. When I configure the Ethernet0/0 port I lose the WAN (WIC) connection to the internet. The same thing happens with the Ethernet0/1 port. What would cause this?

Thank you!

Bkonner

Are you configuring the serial and ethernet port on the same subnet? Please give more detail on working config as opposed to non-working config.

Hi,

No, they are on a different subnet:

WIC: 156.217.243.x with a mask of 255.255.255.252
Ethernet 0/0: 156.218.244.x with a mask of 255.255.255.248

I am not configuring Ethernet 0/1, as it is not needed.

When I check the configuration when both are set in setup, the protocols are up and the lines are up.

I am just at a loss of what I am doing wrong. I do know that the T1 is working.

I am getting a new router tomorrow, and I may have more success configuring it. But, again, I am just unsure what I am doing wrong.

Thank you for responding.

Bkonner

Do you have more than one gateway of last resort? What does show ip route show in both situations? If you want to try the new router, that is cool. If not, try showing the info to the 2 questions I just asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back