Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 2611 and T1 setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkerns12

MIS
Feb 24, 2000
US
I have been asked by my company to setup the T1 line we have justed recieved. I have very little experience in Cisco routers or T1's. My company is to cheap to pay someone so here I am. We have a 2611 router and a windows 2000 advance server. I have the info from our provider but am not sure where to put it all. I also need to be able to setup the server for interent access. but my first concern is the router. they have given me a serial address, is this all I need for the info in the router or does it need more config then that. What should the address on the second NIC on the server be. I will be checking in around the clock, for my boss say's I don't sleep until it works. so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Rkerns12

Check this thread. It should tell you everything you need to know.

thread557-47608

Assuming a frame circuit, you need the DLCI that the Telco thinks you are.. if it's only one PVC then it's more then likely DLCI 16. you need to set the encapsulation on the serial interface to frame-relay. Most times the LMI is defaulted to CISCO but ask. Ask the ISP if they use OSPF or other routing protocol to learn your networks or is it static. Larger sites use OSPF normally to "teach" the proxy the internal networks.

If you are running just a pure internet connection and no proxy at the ISP, at the very least get NAT running on your router. It's fairly simple to set up. There are several suggestions for setting up secure access lists that will block various nasties.

Let us know if you need the details.

Of course, if you have a point to point ( static T) then this whole mess is moot.. except for NAT and access-lists

Mike S

PS- if you have a WIC-T1 with the intergral DSU/CSU, dont forget to tell it how many channels you are using.. 1-24 for a full T1 for example. "Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

We have a full T1 with a static IP address and a block of IP's. I have given the router the serial ip's and I can ping out with the router, what other info do I need to put in the router and the server so that it will connect to the server and have internet access.

thanks
rkerns12

Mike,

He'll also need to set the default gateway. Right?

Greg L.

The easiest thing to do is setup with the following

ip classless

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 (next hop); you can use something like S0 there but I've seen it fail without the IP of the next hop

The server needs to have it's default gatway set to the be the router's LAN port as do the workstations. The router will know not to send packets out unless they are from an unknown network.. i.e.. not from your LAN ip subnet.

Mike S
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

The isp should have given you a Wan Serial ip and a Lan Ethernet ip . the first ip on your lan would be the network and the 2nd should be the address of the ethernet port. Make
sure you set up your gateways, subnet mask, and dns information on the pc's. If in fact it is a full T1 on a wic
card you will not need to setup your service-module T1 time-slots 1-24 however keep this in the back of your mind if your LMI on the frame-relay does not stay up. If your using
frame-relay. Good Luck !!!

P.S. Mike as usual your given out excellent information !!! Jeter@LasVegas.com Remember to pass Cisco's CCNA you need at least an 849 to pass!!!

Download Cisco ConfigMaker. You can graphically draw up your network and have it upload the config to the router automatically.

Its a great tool to get your network started. You should be able to download at
Matt H

Uhmmm... be carefull with Configmaker.. doesnt like NAT, OSPF and other commonly needed items.

Mike S
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back