Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 2600 constantly crashing after initial boot strap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 13, 2005
US
this is the message I get :

*** System received a SegV exception ***
signal= 0xb, code= 0x1200, context= 0x810b5a48
PC = 0x80b72c04, Vector = 0x1200, SP = 0x81195770

I am trying to find some help on Cisco's website but as we all know that is an issue unto itself. Any one have any ideas?

Hello there, SegV exception is 90% of the times due to a software defect. In this case I would upgrade the code to the latest on the existing mainline. Is this a new install or the router worked before, do we have enough ram for the image? cheers and good luck!!!

yep, I have seen this before, though the error messages might be slightly different. technikall is right, this is most likely an IOS error, probably due to a corrupt IOS. this could be due to insufficient memory or even just a bad image file.

try to completely redownload it, making sure to get one that fits your router's specs. then re-tftp it to the router.

eddie venus

Thanks guys. I just shut the int down and everything went back to normal. I did away with sub int config and everything has been working just great. I will look into upgrading the software a little later.

Thanks for all the help!

I've seen this happen with low memory on the box. What happens is you configure the box and all runs fine until you reload. On reload, there aren't enough resources to bring up all the interfaces and load the IOS so the box crashes. I've worked around this as an interim fix by doing a password recovery type process when I load the box but ignore the configuration so the router boots cleanly. After that, I copy the configuration from NVRAM into DRAM and all works fine.

I'd look at upgrading the memory since the box doesn't seem to have enough resources for the subinterfaces on reload. After that, IOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back