Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 2600 and /23 classes subnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

aalberty

Programmer
Apr 13, 2005
US
It has finally happened and we are out of useable IPs.

We are currently using the 192.168.0.0/24 range and I am trying to implement a 192.168.0.0/23 range.

All of our servers and printers are more than happy to use the 255.255.254.0 subnet, and even our PIX 515 works like a champ with the new range.

But for some reason, our Cisco 2600 router will not work after its IP address is changed. After "enable", "conf term", and "interface ethernet0/0", I enter "ip address 192.168.0.1 255.255.254.0", and "^Z".

As soon as the change is made, everyone on the network looses access to the router and the router cannot ping itself.

Is this because the 2600 will not allow a classless subnet, or am I missing something basic?

Thanks,

Adam

try giving it a 'shut' first then change the ip and 'no shut'
i don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. I wouldn't change such thing either when 'everyone' is on the network, but thats something else.

CCNA, CCNP..partly ;)

Just a thought. Make sure you have this command enabled on the router.

ip subnet-zero

It lets you use all 1's, and all 0's subnets. May potentially be the cause of your issue.

Does your router have "ip classless" in the config??

I wouldn't change such thing either when 'everyone' is on the network, but thats something else."

It's a little game I play with the head of payroll. I turn off her e-mail access and she threatens to take away my PTO! But seriously, by everyone I mean the computers on the network as the work is being done after hours and the users have gone home.

"Just a thought. Make sure you have this command enabled on the router.

ip subnet-zero"

This command is not currently in the config. Would I add this conf term area?

"Does your router have "ip classless" in the config??"

Yes ip classless is in the config.

Thanks for your help!

Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back