Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 2507 console trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

glharmon

Vendor
Apr 21, 2006
US
Hello guys. This is the first time I have posted. I have a Cisco 2507 router that I brought and I am having the wierdest problem with. I am attempting to log in via the console port. In am using Hyper-Terminal settings
9600-8-N-1.(classic 2500 settings)
I connect to the router fine, but the text is garbled and encoded. I actually blindly attempted to boot to ROMMON prompt and set the configuration register(hoping it was some wierd baud rate) to no avail. I have tried every setting hyper terminal has to offer to no avail! I can tell that it seems to boot fine but the text format is unreadable. I am considering replacing boot ROMs but have not tried it. Has anyone out there seen this or does anyone know how to fix this

Thx
glharmon

glharmon,

I have had this several times with both 2500s and 2600s but it was always the baud rate, in fact when it first happened I opened a case with Cisco (SmartNet) tech said "it looks like the router is swearing at you on the screen" and he basicly told me to do what you did.

Change the baud to every setting and then try to reconnect. It took us 5 changes. Only thing I am thinking - are you changing it and then trying to reconnect - it should say down at bottom of hyperterminal what you are connecting at.

The only other things - make sure the cable and connection is tight and try another cable if you have one.

Good luck - let us know what you find out!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

I have tried all of the available BAUD rates and still have had no luck. I actually power cycled the router and disconnected the session each time. I also tested each BAUD rate with a different cable and on a different system with the hyperterminal set to defaults. I have tested the same cable with my 3 other 2500 routers and it seems to work fine.

Here is a copy and paste of the output:

û¿° û¿° û¿° û¿° û¿° û¿°ì| ? °ãþ °înÃãÏÃïãû Ïïïã ? ìü°ü° û ìüßÃó ãÃÏ Û
óÛßó ûöìüìü Ÿƒ¾°û°ö >÷ûþü°° ÛÛ Ïïƒ?ƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒ?°°°°°°°°°°°îà þ°þü |°ƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒ·Ã
ãïïóƒÛ{|ÃÃÛÏûþ›ü ߃Ã
Does this look like what you have seen before?
Is there a way to flash a 2500 router without being able to log in? IE. can you write me a script that will update the FW from ROMMON asuming that I am actually in ROMMON after attempting to perform a break sequence?(sound pretty desperate huh?)

glharmon,

That is what it looked like !

As for Flashing the BIOS - not sure - try posting at DSL Reports in the Cisco forum there.

I hang out there and have seen some wild things posted and answered there - seems they get more traffic also.

Just a thought!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back