Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 2503

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcclSmokey

Technical User
May 9, 2003
GB
Hi There

Have erased the flash on a CiscoPro Access solutions 2503 router and dont have a backup of the IOS. IOS Images for these boxes are prefixed CPA. Does anyone have an idea where I might get hold of the IOS image file ?

Regards
Smokey

Smokey, unless you have a CCO account (for the fact that you are asking if anyone has one available says you don't) you are not going to be able to get that IOS image. You are going to have to go to Cisco's website. After that look for the contact numbers for Cisco TAC. Call them describe your situation (if you are lucky as hell) they may give you the IOS for free. But 9-10 odds you are going to be paying for your IOS image and they are not cheap!!

It never stops amaizing me (this question is one of the most asked), maybe I am anal retentive about having a backup of everything I am doing. EVEN my test machines I create a backup of the configs I am running. I still have IOS 10.2 and up for 2501 and others backed-up. I go so far as to store them on CD's. I cannot stress heavily enough, back-ups are CYA, you want to keep a job make sure you cover your behind. You want to make sure no one knows you screwed up, CYA yourself with rollback abilities. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, have a way to go back to what was working before!! Never get so excited about doing something that you forget the golden rules. I know from learned experience no matter how cool the prospect of playing with a new toy is, follow these rules or bare the consequences. (Not to mention I hate being the buttend of a joke with my peers. We all know how crule we can be to each other!)

1). Plan Action, document plan. Concider as many outcomes as possible.

2). Plan rollback from test implementation in case implementation is a severe failure.

3.) Make a physical copy of all current configurations. Save, Lable, and Store in a safe location along with all information needed to restore systems to normal/pre-implementation.

4). When implementing changes have backup/rollback information readily available for quick reaction to severe failures. Document Process at each step so when attempting again you have a template of your failure and may have an option to try something else. Document, everything, especially succesful information (even partial successes give you clues).

Note: I just re-read what I posted (yes I do that too). It sounds like I am anngry or something. This was not my intent I'm not angry or even tired of seeing this type of question. I just want to stress the severe importance of always being able to roll back to what worked before in the easiest manner possible. Knowing how to document your plans of action, your after action, and response to problems. Speeds up your troubleshooting process and the resolution process.

Not to mention, it helps you keep that job you like. I have personally witnessed some managers get tossed out the door because they just went ohh I'll make this simple change. (Not fully thinking this simple change has a cascading effect and changing things far and wide). Even small changes can cause severe problems. Like say adding a cisco switch, simple easy, but you had best better make sure you don't have it set as a domain server if you have large set of linked, configured swithes with complex configurations. You might lose all your configurations do you have backups of everything? OOOPPPS, you just cost your company some money due to down time.

Thanks tschouten. Not really a big problem as it is not a router running in a production environment. I thought some friendly do gooder may offer to send me the file perhaps. Well looks like the 2503 is heading for Router Heaven.

Kind Regards
Smokey

Well you could try this, thought I don't like the thought of it.

They have a program that has a collection of ftp sites with certain IOS's on them. I think it is good for one thing, it allows home lab builders access to testable IOS's. However I know some moron out there is using it as a way to update their production equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back