Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 2500 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

rythmstr

IS-IT--Management
Sep 23, 2002
US
Hi,
I am trying to accomplish some very basic things here. My place of employment obtained a Cisco 2500 router to backup the one we have currently in production. I am having many difficulties setting it up with the same configuration. When I copy the production configuration in - it shows many errors - and must not copy cetain things - because the file size is smaller. One suggestion was to upgrade it to the same IOS version first - which I am in the process of doing. So - on my network at home all I am trying to do is:

1) Get the router on the home network. (setting the ethernet address and default gateway don't seem to work)
2) Upgrade it to IOS 12.3 (or 12.0 - still need to determine my best choice)
3) Copy production configuration in system.

This CAN'T be that hard - although I am stuck on getting this machine on my home network.

Any help is apprciated.

Thanks,
/R

hi there
whats the error message you receive when trying to set the IP? You may need to use the no ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx to remove the address? Are you setting the IP address against the ethernet interface?
ie:-
interface Ethernet0
ip address 172.16.1.1 255.255.255.0

If you need a gateway, that can be specified at root command level...
ip default-gateway 172.16.0.1

Thanks for the response Big.

There's no error when setting the ip - the change takes - it's accessing it on the internal network that seems to be the problem. Seems like I should be able to ping it. All addresses issued by my internal network's DHCP router are 192.168.0.x. I thought if gave the test router the same subnet, I'd be in good shape - so I gave it 192.168.0.2 - and cannot ping it after the change. Maybe I'm going about this wrong....

Don't forget to do "no shutdown" after setting the IP address. Otherwise, the port will stay disabled.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back