Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 2500 serial interface speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

nichols

Technical User
May 24, 2001
GB
This may be a completely stupid question However I will ask it anyway because it is troubling me.

We are using cisco 4000 routers at our hub site and cisco 2500 routers at all of our remote sites. These routers are connected by kilostream links ranging from 64kb/s to 2Mb/s.

The thing that is troubling me is the speed at which the serial interface that the kilostream line attaches to is transfering the data at.

For example in the case of a 64 kb/s circuit running from cisco 4000 router (router A) with the standard serial interface to a cisco 2500 router (router B) with a standard serial interface. I know that both routers have 10-baseT ethernet interfaces. So I am assuming the data transfers from the LAN to the ethernet interface on router A and is transferred at 10 Mb/s and is then Routed to the serial interface that is connected to the 64 kb/s kilostream link to Router B's serial link then to the ethernet interface on Router B which then transfers the data at 10 Mb/s on to the LAN.

What is unclear is at what speed the data is transferred from the serial interface on Router A to kilostream circuit and what speed the data is transferred from the serial link on router B to the ethernet interface, and also is there any way of measuring this.

It may be that it just transfers at the rate at which it is passed but looking at our WAN it works out that files are travelling over this link at approximatley 23.49 kb/s. This was worked out by copying a file accross dividing the file size by the bandwidth available on the kilostream line at an off peak time.

I am also interested to know if there is any way to increase this transfer rate?

Hope someone can help! or at least tell me how obsurd my question is and why!

Cheers
Nichols

Hopefully I'm not missing your point, but it sounds like you're main concern is viewing your serial link bandwidth utilization. Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) is the way to go. This protocol is used to monitor network performance along with other things. There are many programs that will allow you to view and manage your SNMP enabled devices. Solarwinds makes a great application. Another popular (and free ::: GNU GPL) SNMP tool is MRTG (Multi Router Traffic Grapher) -- although it does require a bit more configuration.

SNMP Info from Cisco:

SNMP v1 RFC:

MRTG:

SolarWinds:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back