Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 1941 with DOCSIS 2.0-based cable modem card for Virgin broadband

Status
Not open for further replies.

marekwalczak

Technical User
Apr 17, 2012
GB
Hi all

I'm wondering if anyone of you successfully configure Cisco 1941 (or 1841) router with DOCSIS 2.0-based cable modem card ( for Virgin broadband, so that I would be able to remove Virgin hub and connect directly to 1941.

I have already contacted Virgin support but they said that is unlikely possible.

Any help is much appreciated

Many thanks
Marek

Hi,

I know it is possible as I have heard of virgin business customers who were unhappy with the not so super "Super Hub" (which is a switch) having a cisco router with a DOCSIS 2.0 card installed by Virgin (as a last resort)

But as far as I am aware the Cisco card only supports the 10Mbps service

Have a good google and see if you can find a config (if not let me know and I'll see if I can work one out for you!)

We have a VM connection and had a lot of issues with the super hub, mainly due to the MTU size but they are all but soted now.

We had to set the follwing

Internal ethernet interface
ip tcp adjust-mss 1420

External interface (to VM superhub)
ip mtu 1460

See the link

Thanks cflcrosland for a reply.

I can’t find if that Cisco card support only the 10Mbps service though, are you sure about this?

Do you know that Cisco released DOCSIS 3.0 card?

I have not bought this card yet, I’m just looking if that works with Virgin (I pretty sure that will work) but I need to be sure, as I don’t want to spend money on it if does not work. I think Virgin just says this card won’t work because Support won’t be able to help me in case of failure.

I don’t think that config will be that difficult but if you have please share with me that would save me time to search for it.

Regards
Marek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back