Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cisco 1841 configur to allow only some ip or application in 2 lan

Status
Not open for further replies.

thep1

IS-IT--Management
Oct 8, 2012
US
Hi,
I have a cisco 1841 with 2 FE ports I am going to connect it to 2 separate LAN's.

Lan1 192.168.17.x
Lan2 10.10.255.x

not sure if this is possible but I want to allow only some type of files to be transmitted from Lan1 pc's to Lan2 server (ex .mov) is this something I can do on cisco 1841?

if not is there anything else I can do?

Your router is a layer 3 device. It can see IP packets. It can therefore filter by IP address and/or by port.
If you identify the ports that particular applications are using, then you could filter those ports out and prevent them from working.
Your layer3 device has no visibility of what the packets belong to at the application level. To identify files by their file extension, you need a layer-7 device, ie, an application.
Your Windows OS, or your security software, can presumably be configured by the administrator to prevent certain files from being opened.

Thanks for the info VinceWhirlwind as i figured its not possible.

so in this case lets say i have PC on 192.168.17.30 and i only want that pc to communicate with a server on 10.10.255.10 what would i have to do?
would i handle this using access list? and static routing?

Depends on the environment.

You could prevent that PC from accessing the internet with a route (or, lack of a route), or an access list.

An access list could be fairly simple.
You should
allow 192.168.17.30-->10.10.255.10
deny 192.168.17.30-->any
allow any any

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back