Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 1721 configuring subnets

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickbobin

IS-IT--Management
Jul 21, 2005
AU
I have a Cisco 1721 connected to 1Mb ethernet. This is connected to an MPLS cloud which in turn is connected to a number of regional offices all with their own subnets.

The Cisco currently knows nothing about those subnets and naturally is unable to pass data. I have been searching the web for instructions on how to configure the Cisco correctly but I think I need assistance.

Are your other locations on MPLS? If so, how are they configured? MPLS makes this tricky. Some providers insist on having routing control while other don't, do you know how it is for your case?

Zen37 is right, we need more info. What kind of MPLS network is this? L2 or L3? Is there a requirement that you share a routing protocol with your provider? There are too many variables here so we'll need some info before we can really help.

John

I need a diagram to know about the routing.

We have a fully mesh MPLS.
We had MPLS installed in our network and was told to use bgp, however that didnt work for us (it messed up all our routing tables since we were using eigrp). So we told our provider (MCI) we want to use statics and it is working fine now. (It's a little more work using statics but I'm perfectly fine with it)

On our router, we had to add in static routes to our remote sites and also give the provider all our networks so they can put routes in their PE (provider edge router). Some sites went up successfully, some took a while bc they didn't have the correct routing done on their end.

IE: Dallas is our central site & Austin is our remote:

Dallas LAN = 10.0.101.0 /24
Dallas MPLS WAN = 147.225.1.2 /30
On Dallas router you will need to a route to the remote mpls network and remote LAN(and if you have more remote sites, you will need to add routes for the mpls network and lan):
ip route 189.1.2.0 255.255.255.252 147.225.1.1
ip route 10.0.102.0 255.255.255.0 147.225.2.1

Austin LAN = 10.0.102.0 /24
Austin MPLS WAN = 189.1.2.2 /30
On Austin router you will need to add routes to the central mpls network and central LAN (and if you have more remote sites, you will need to add routes for the mpls network and lan):
ip route 147.225.1.0 255.255.255.252 189.1.2.1
ip route 10.0.101.0 255.255.255.0 189.1.2.1

Lets say you dont have a fully mesh MPLS. Lets say Dallas have a T1 to San Antonio (10.0.103.0). If Austin needs to get to San Antonio you will need to add a route in Austin to go to San Antonio (ip route 10.0.103.0 255.255.255.0 189.1.2.1)and also tell your provider that 10.0.103.0 needs to be routed to Dallas MPLS.

Only thing about using statics is that when you add a new LAN, you need to tell your provider to add a route to that LAN on the PE.

Excellent guys, I am onto our provider for more info.

Will post that back as soon as I can.

Ok, service provider helped us out and all is running and was very much in the vein of Dimpa1's example.

Static routes were the way to go and turned out to be pretty simple.

Thanks to all of you who jumped in with assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back