Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 1252 Lightweight repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

insureme

IS-IT--Management
Dec 9, 2008
US
so I've got an access point that is not under smartnet and is having a DRAM failure on boot up. (triple red light). i can console in, but when i try to manually boot it decompresses the IOS and then hangs on executing. Anyone know of a way to repair this without involving Cisco, or having to buy a new AP?

Are you sure its not just a bad IOS image? I upgraded a couple of autonomous 1100 AP's a while ago using FTP and everything looked ok but they wouldn't boot. There is a recovery procedure which involves holding a button in and having a TFTP server with a default-named recovery file. I can't remember the specifics but it is on CCO.

Other than that if it is a hardware fault and its not covered - eBay....

Andy

Agreed - I recovered a bad flash on a RV042 router using a specific gui tool they have for that. If no tool is available for your device, the TFTP method may work.

You could also look at some of the procedures on DD-WRT for "recovering from a bad flash" that might help you with the timing of trying to start the TFTP to the device if it's really bricked bad. Timing is everything when you boot the device up and try to "talk" to it to get the flash to go.

Remember to turn off any firewalls on your computer. That prevented me from using their automated tool!!! Turned it off - boom/done.

appreciate the feedback. I was not able to find any tools for these devices, so I've ordered a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back