Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CIDR & Route Summarization

Status
Not open for further replies.

kapupu

Technical User
Sep 4, 2010
US
Is CIDR & Route Summarization the same thing?

yes and no. yes because a summarized route will typically use a prefix of a different length than the classful boundary. no because for example you can break up 172.16/16 into 172.16.0/24, 172.16.1/24, 172.16.2/24, etc. which aren't summarized but use CIDR

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

I'm confuse about CIDR; can you give some example.

CIDR = Classless Inter-domain routing

Basically when IP4 was new, it was classful. Meaning that networks were part of classes that were fixed in length. You'll see these classes reffered to as Class A, B, C, D, E netblocks.

When the Internet started growing they quickly realized they had to move away from classful networks to get better number utilization.

CIDR allows you to have a routable subnet of a classful network.

Route Summarization is just the act of summarizing multiple subnets into an aggregrate to lower the processor and memory overhead of the routers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back