Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CICS plus VoIP solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

PainOfDeath

Technical User
Feb 19, 2005
CA
I have a customer that currently uses a CICS + callpilot at their headquarters, and they have a remote office with a few users. They want a solution whereby they can receive calls at their HQ and transfer them to the remote site. They want to upgrade to a BCM and use IP phones but not right away (due to costs), but they are looking for a solution for the short term.

I suggested external forwarding using a toll-free line but they don't want to tie up 2 lines on the CICS. Can anyone suggest a different temporary solution for them? I can't think of anything that wouldn't be prohibitively expensive. Again, they want to be able to TRANSFER the call (either manually or through CCR) to their remote office.

You could purchase Nortel VoIP gateways for each site but you would need to have open trunk ports.

Yeah I was thinking that too but it's too much hassle for a temporary solution. They are probably going to upgrade in a few months and the BCM setup will resolve the issue, but in the meantime they want a quick & dirty (read: cheap) solution.

Use Centrex transfer from Telco. A little $ a month and a Link key on the recpt. tel.

Pain, I think U nailed the solution on the head without changing or adding more equipment.

Remote = HQ in Toronto, Ontario, remote office in Buffalo, NY.

Deweyhumboldt, thanks for the centrex suggestion, I will look into that with the telco.

kwtaylor, the problem with my forwarding idea is that their CICS is already maxed out on trunks and they don't want to tie up a line for external forwarding.

In Montreal, with BELL, Link Transfer is now a part of all business lines. Just program a button with a link, then a pause, (although I don't think it's really necessary), then the toll free number of the remote office. When a call comes in for remote user, receptionist presses the button, waits until she hears ringing, then hangs up the phone. The call is transfered and NO lines are kept busy on your end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back