Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CICS Length Field Not Changing Values 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

averh2o

Programmer
Jan 14, 2008
US
It doesn't seem that my length field is being changed when inputting data shorter than the output field on the screen. What can I be doing wrong? Prior to this editing, the user has entered a key field which has been used to retrieve a record from the vsam file, formatted and sent to the screen. Original length of field on BMS def is 30 and the length field shows 30, regardless of how many characters are entered to change the field.

If the value comes from a COBOL program and is sent to the screen, likely the value is being padded with spaces. Consequently, there will always be a length of 30.

Rather than look at the L value of BMS, you would probably do better to find the length yourself. Or before you send the value to screen, move low-values to the screen data area.

You're right, it is Cobol. If the user hits eof after modifying the field the length field does indicate the correct length of the new input. If not, user just enters new data and leaves remaining characters on screen, the length field is set to the length of the original output field length sent to the screen. I thought the length field would indicate the # characters input by the user regardless of what the screen output field held.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back