Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

chroot Segmentation Fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoundEdGoat

Programmer
May 10, 2002
CA
Okay, here's the scenerio I'm currently stuck with. I accidently killed my Lilo and are currently unable to boot into Linux. I booted with a Knoppix CD to run through the procedure as I was taught how to do it to restore Lilo, but when I chroot, I get a segmentation error. I'm rather new to Linux and I don't know how to fix this and I don't want to have to reinstall the OS to fix it. I'm running (or was running rather) Mandrake 10.1 I think. I apologize if the solution is ridiculously simple, but I've not been able to find a solution on my own. Thanks in advance.

additional hint:

I ran into problems as well - corrupted mbr, and had to boot from knoppix-cd.

I got the error 'unable to write /boot/boot.0300, read-only filesystem'.
Inserting 'backup=/dev/null' in lilo.conf solved the problem.

seeking a job as java-programmer in Berlin:

Sorry to take so long to reply, but yeah, I realized belatedly that I neglected to netion that my mbr has been overwritten.

Crud... Nevermind guys. I completely toasted my Linux yesterday, so I have no choice but to reinstall now. Thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back