Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chrome Location?

Status
Not open for further replies.

willieaames

IS-IT--Management
Jan 13, 2015
US
Hello,

I`m in USA but i need to change my browser location, how can i do this?
Does this method of changing your location allow you to use the BBC iPlayer outside of the UK?

I don't believe your browser has any concept of location. At least not that you can change in any settings.

I believe most websites that determine your location do that based on your point-of-presence. That is, where you actually touch the Internet. For example, I live in southern California. When I'm at home, most web sites see me as being pretty close to my actual location. When I'm at work, most web sites see me as being in Dallas Texas. Even though I'm sitting in SoCal. The reason is that my company's POP for the Internet is in Texas.

So, if you're trying to make yourself look like you're coming from somewhere else, you need to find a proxy site in the location you want to be seen to be coming from. Or, maybe use something like a TOR browser since that tries to hide your location.

If this is some issue with getting the BBC iPlayer working, you might try contacting them at the iPlayer site. I don't know anything about iPlayer, but from a quick Google, it looks like it's a compiled app, so your browser shouldn't really come into play when using it. But, like I said, I don't know anything about it so maybe ask them at the iPlayer site.

With iPlayer, you need to have connected to iPlayer with that PC when you were in the UK. I think ITV player and all4 are the same.

If you are using a PC that has never connected when you were in the UK, it won't work. I haven't found a way around that one yet.

Which makes me think the proxy idea bears looking into. The proxy acts as an intermediary, so to the server/service, it looks like you're coming from where the proxy server is, not where you actually are.

Just Google "free proxy servers uk". You should be able to find something.

You should also look at tunlr. It exists to give the kind of access you're looking for.

There are others. Just Google "tunlr alternatives".

Thanks, This is helpful. I have came across this guide for changing location and get access to bbc iplayer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back