Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chrome & PDF's 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DMF

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
GB
Hi,

I have a user with a problem viewing PDF's in Chrome.

The PDF is displayed so small it isn't readable (@ 1 inch square - like a thumb nail).

When you hover over the PDF no menu / tool bar options appear so the zoom cannot be adjusted, the PDF can't be saved, it's useless.

In the end I have disabled the plugin, but now PDF's don't view embedded, but open as separate file downloads.

It seems Adobe no longer provides a plugin for Chrome, and the built in one is a total pile of doggy doo!

Is there any way to make Chrome handle PDF's nicely the way Internet Explorer does?

Thanks,
1DMF.

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"
Free Electronic Dance Music

PDFs seem to display correctly on v46.0.2489.86m. I've got no idea how old this version is or whether it ever gets updated by google updates.

I'm on Version 46.0.2490.86 m and sometimes the tool box shows and sometimes it doesn't when hovering.

The user is happy with it disabled, as at least it opens properly in a readable size with Adobe DC and there are all the menu options available for printing, saving etc..

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

>It seems Adobe no longer provides a plugin for Chrome

It's the other way around. For Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, the Adobe plugin is based on the Netscape Plug-In API (NPAPI) - and Google decided to remove support for the NPAPI from Chrome. There used to be a way of overriding this, but that functionality was removed from Chrome as of September's build.

So for now I think you are stuck with the broken PDF (and it's an old bug related to in-frame pdfs) automatically loading into Adobe Reader rather than embedded - unless anyone knows different.

>> (and it's an old bug related to in-frame pdfs)

Spot on Mike, this is how the PDF is being loaded.

Is there any reason they still seem unable to fix this, how old is old?

>> Putting the mouse at the bottom of the browser window triggers a toolbar with save, print functions.

ah, but the bottom of the PDF is below the fold, that really isn't user friendly trying to scroll down to get a menu for something you can't see because the info is at the top.

The user is happy it opening in Adobe DC, as there seems no way of having a tool bar show at the top, where it's meant to be!

F8 toggles this user friendly tool bar menu in IE, it's just Google that currently sucks!

Though I have to admit the F8 tool bar is not as useful in recent version of Acrobat as it used to be!

ah, but the bottom of the PDF is below the fold,

All duplicated in the context menu though.

Page Down and the space bar also work as you would expect.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

>>All duplicated in the context menu though.

I just get the browser context menu on right click and 'save as' wants to save a HTML file not a PDF?

Can you elaborate, are we talking the same context menu?

Yeah, but "Save As ..." does save a PDF and the toolbar appears at the bottom of the browser window regardless of where you are in the document.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

I can't get mine to behave that way, 'save as' just saves a web page archive, however print takes you to a print preview of the PDF and shows the floaty PDF toolbar.

Oh well, I personally don't use Chrome, and the user is happy, so I won't worry too much about it, thanks for the input anyway Chris, appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back