Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chosen parameters versus displayed parameters

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack91

Technical User
Apr 13, 2009
US
hi,

I have always used displayed parameters/output on the upper left hand corner of the page header.

But there is a possible requirement of having the chosen parameters also displayed -- what the user has chosen.

Chosen parameters:
1)
2)
3)

Displayed/output parameters:
1)
2)
3)

My question is: Have you or anyone you know in your experience as a requirement shown both chosen as well as displayed/output parameters on your reports?

Secondly, when i try to display the "displayed/output" parameters *for example if there were 15 words/to display it would not just fit in the page header among other things

--- i think you know by now where I am going with this.

Please advise,
Regards
Jk

Hi,
Not sure what you mean by displayed parameters/output and
Chosen parameters

Can you provide an example of what you have and what you want to have shown in that location?

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Chosen parameters:

This is what the user chooses when he/she is presented with a parameter list.

Location = New York
Company Buildings = ALL
Departments = ALL

Now when the report is *run

ALL the company buildings as well as ALL the Departments in New York are displayed in the **** Details section of the report.

Now I use this in the ******* report header as well.

Chosen parameter by user:
1)Location = New York
2)Company buildings = ALL
3)Departments = ALL

Output of the parameters chosen:
1)Location =New York
2)Company buildings =125 madison, 255 dellaware street, 456 central park, 5555 broadway,
3)Departments = Finance, Human resources, Accounting, Information Technology,

I hope you I have answered your question:

My question is: Have you or anyone you know in your experience as a requirement shown both chosen as well as displayed/output parameters on your reports?

Secondly, when i try to display the "displayed/output" parameters *for example if there were 15 words/to display it would not just fit in the page header among other things.

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks
jk

Hi,
The output is not from the parameters but from the database and it is not 'there' until the detail section has run..It seems odd to want to display the records returned in a header..Can you explain why this is a requirement?

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

When the report is printed and presented to another person its convenient to have a summary of what location or what department the report is targeting.

To be shown the above in the upper left hand corner of a page header makes it easier to see.

Regards,
jk

I would think you Location, Company and Departments would be group headers that are highlighted throughout the report.
If you have the detail information, it should be able to print in the headings if when you Format the field you click on the Can grow field on the Common tab.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back