Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

choppy video playback in 007 nightfire

Status
Not open for further replies.

denzilla

Technical User
Sep 24, 2002
US
I bought a copy of 007 nightfire today and have this od bug.
All the FMV scenes are choppy. All my other pc games that use fmv playback fine. The help file within the games says that I may need updated aspi drivers for my cdrom but the problem is the video was copied to the hdd so its not coming from the cdrom. Can anybody help with this problem?

ASPI layer...look for it with google. (complex issue)

The CDROM firmware upgrade(from the mfr.) may alleviate it.

YMMV, as we all know.

I've read from other peopleon the net that they are having the same problem. It might be defect related.

Is your system spec fast enought to run the game or do you meet the minimum system requirements ?

What is your systems spec ?

p3 1.2ghz
512meg ram
winxp
radeon 7500 64meg agp

I read the specs before i bought it. Like I said the game itself runs at full speed its just the video thats choppy.

My problem on 007 Nightfire wasn't with FMV playback, but with actual in-game performance.
I would have expected my P4 2.5GHz, 512Mb RAM to cope easily with Nightfire, but nevertheless, the game does run slow at certain points, even when the display options are set to low.

Any suggestions why?

The 3d on my system runs smooth as a baby's butt. Your CPU Blows mine away. What Kind of Video card you running? If its old get at least what I'm running (Radeon7500 64meg AGP) They are pretty cheap now. I can play Medal of Honor + Spearhead, No One Lives forever 2, Nightfire, Bang!, and Starlancer at full speed with all effects on Max. If your card isn't that old, I recommend a driver and direct x upgrade.

I'm using a GeForce 4 MX440 64Mb, so it should run fine. My drivers are all up to date and so is my DirectX.
3D still running slow, which is annoying, considering I've had no trouble with any other games (MOHAA and SoF2 etc. all run great.)

More buggy EA crap I guess. Maybe there is a program running thats causing it. Try running in safe mode. Could also be that the current drivers you have aren't jiving well with Nightfire. With PCs. there are just to many variables to list. Sometimes I have uninstalled and reloaded a game and that fixed problems. If you have no luck I wouldn't worry much. The game leaves alot to be desired. Its definitely no MOH Spearhead! Best of luck.

At EA they are working on a patch to correct several problems with Nightfire. Just a matter of patience I guess...

have you tried defragging your hard disk? I sometimes get the same problem on other games with choppy FMV and it's usually when the disk needs a defrag.

Incidentally, i can't even get Nightfire to run :( it just pops up an error message when i click nightfire on the main menu. Multiplayer works though...

Conclusion:

James Bond Nightfire is a terrible game. Bad graphics
(old Half-life engine), instable, bad gameplay and not worth your money.
Bad product from EA.

And that's all there is to say about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back