Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Choosing the Right Programming Language for Your Learning Path

Status
Not open for further replies.

soni21

Programmer
Apr 25, 2023
IN
As a beginner in programming, I'm eager to start learning a programming language, but I'm overwhelmed by the multitude of options available. I understand that the "best" language can vary depending on individual goals, but I'd like some guidance to help me make an informed decision.

Here are some factors I'm considering:

. Career goals: I'm interested in web development, data science, and possibly game development.
. Learning curve: As a beginner, I'm looking for a language with good learning resources and a supportive community.
. Industry demand: I want to invest my time in a language that has good job prospects.
. Versatility: A language that can be applied to a range of projects would be ideal.

Could knowledgeable programmers and developers provide their opinions on the best programming languages for someone with my interests and objectives? I've attempted to find several sites to help me think things through, but if anyone can give me a quick explanation of why they chose a specific language and any tools that may make learning easier, that would be very appreciated. I appreciate your advice, please!

Since you posted in Java forum, I assume you are considering the Java programming language.
Java is good choice.

There is no "best" language as such. The difficult one is Industry Demand. The is a very wide range of languages used in industry. This depends on whether you wish to work locally, remotely or commute to the nearest city. Do you wish to work in engineering, commerce, small industries, large corporations etc. Do you want to work on GUIs, webpages, middleware, bare-metal, simulation etc?

Every sector has its own favourite languages - may not be the most suitable language for what they want to do but it is the one that everyone knows.

I came out of uni with Algol 60, Algol 68 and COBOL. First job was in PL/M, BCPL, Fortran II, BASIC and C. What the uni thought were good languages were not used in the industry I went into. The languages give a good grounding of the principles - you just have to adapt from one language to another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back