Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Choosing a new PC to work with (the requirements)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cesark

Programmer
Dec 20, 2003
Good morning,

I have to buy a new computer to work with and I don’ t know exactly which requirements has to have the new PC. Here I comment my situation to ask your opinion.

I am a web developer and I work for an own web project for a long term. The environment, tools/programs and languages I use are:

Windows 2000 server, NT technology as OS
Microsoft Sql Server as a database for the web application
Macromedia Dreamweaver MX as web editor
ASP.NET VB.NET as server language for the web application
Javascript language as client side language for the web app

From time to time I also use:
Macromedia Fireworks MX
Macromedia Flash MX
Macromedia Free-Hand 10

I was thinking in a Dell computer, and I want a machine with the necessary requirements I need, not an overkill.

Thank you,
Cesar

I think many here would discourage buying Dell, their use of proprietory parts and poor after sales support do not leave much to recommend.

Personally I would advise the use of a local custom build shop who can taylor a system to your needs.

Something like:
Intel P4 3.2 Prescott
Full sized ATX form factor Intel 865PE chipset based motherboard (from Intel itself or first tear manufacturer like Asus, MSI, Gigabyte or Abit)

Good quality case but more importantly good quality power supply (the backbone of any reliable system) something like an Antec Sonata that already has it's own Antec True power 380watt installed.
Otherwise a branded 400watt plus PSU from: Antec, Enermax, Tagan, CWT, FSP, Sparkle or similar quality unit

Memory is very cheap at the moment so I suggest 1 gig of Kingston/Corsair/OCZ/Twinmoss or similar quality PC3200 value memory (CL2.5 or lower)

Seperate but entry level AGP graphics card, something like an ATI 9200 series.

I haven't mentioned any of the newer PCI-E chipsets for two reasons.
They aren't any quicker and I recommend tried and tested technology in the work enviroment, also going with the older 865PE will work out cheaper.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Ok, thanks.

Other opinions?

Well, if cost allows, have a spare computer, or consider a Toshiba laptop - very dependable, which I use. That way you can leave the office, enjoy another environment and continue working.

A spare PC can be vital since work continues without interruption. Be sure to back up your work, even clone (duplicate) the drive. If main drive fails, clone drive will boot up immediately if you swap it for the main drive. Use Norton Ghost 2005 (used to be V2i Protector). It is excellent, straightforward & reliable.

Spare drives are cheap, about $115 for 200 GB drive. Very low cost insurance compared to anything else. Recovery time is a big factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back