Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Choosing a modeling pattern - sequential entities

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvr99

Programmer
Mar 7, 2003
CA
So, here is a situation I am mulling over involving sequential entities. I can think of one or two solutions for it, but I suspect it is a fairly standard design pattern and I don't want to re-invent the wheel!:

For an airline ticketing company, I am modeling these entities:

Trips
Routings
Cities

A "Trip" is defined primarily by a departure city and a destination city.

A "Routing" is defined by the sequence of cities passed-through en route to the final destination.

Any given trip can have multiple possible routings; eg Ottawa-Baghdad might have the routings Ottawa-Toronto-Amsterdam-Paris-Baghdad; or Ottawa-NewYork-Frankfurt-Baghdad, etc. The number of possible routings for a given trip is unlimited, and the number of possible pass-thru cities for a given routing is unlimited.

It is easy enough to see that any given "Routing" will be associated with many cities. The trickier thing is that these cities are connected in a particular order for each routing.

In a way, a routing is really just a chain of self-referential "Legs", where a leg is just a jaunt between two cities. Thus a "Routing" has many "Legs"; a "Leg" always has a parent and a child leg and would be modeled as a standard self-referential entity, like "Employee" and "Manager".

While I think this would work, it seems pretty unwieldy, given that a common activity is snapping up all routings for a given trip, and this would involve unfurling this unintuitive "Leg" table.

Is there a standard approach for modeling such a situation?
Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back