Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Choosing a linux distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenalex

Programmer
Apr 25, 2005
AG
Hello everyone,
I am currently using windows vista and want to make linux my development OS and is having difficulty trying to choose a linux distribution for software development ,using java,python,perl and php.I also would like a distribution that can run vmware workstation.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kenalex

Greetings,

Your Linux choice will not affect your ability to use the languages you have mentioned, nor will it have problems with vmware.

If you're completely new to Linux, consider Ubuntu; it's got one of the most active user forums around. If you're competent with linux already (unlikely due to your question), choose whatever you like.

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

I also endorse Ubuntu. I'm very happy with it. I do most of my development in Python (with Gtk) but also some Java and Javascript. Works great.

I agree Ubuntu is the best choice for people migrating from Windows. However, do expect to have to learn at least something of using Unix commands and having to understand how drives and devices work within the directory structure. Very elegant but it is a different mindset.

Even if you ultimately go to another distro, Ubuntu is an excellent stepping stone, as some are rather arcane. As Grenage said, there is a ton of support available and they are very tolerant of newbies.

Jock

Thanks for the response guys. I know some shell scripting and other tools such as Perl and python from using Solaris for data processing . I mainly interact with those systems via ssh .I tried using running Red hat Linux some time in 2001 but it wasn't a good experience. One other thing ,is there a 64 bit flash plug-in for Linux.

Thanks again for the reponses

One other thing ,is there a 64 bit flash plug-in for Linux

Last time I checked, perhaps a couple of months ago, there 'was' an AMD64 player but it was alpha grade. I haven't had any issues with it/

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

I'm gonna chime in a couple of weeks late on this one;

I'm a massive fan of Linux Mint

It's Ubuntu based and the community aspect to Mint is frakkin brilliant....

Paul
MCTS: Exchange 2007, Configuration
MCSA:2003
MCSE:2003
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator

RFC 2795 - The Infinite Monkey Protocol Suite (IMPS)

Oracle distributes a free version of enterprise Red Hat called Oracle Li nux from the Oracle website ( There is also a free version of Red Hat called CentOS.

I am working on the CentOS for my kids school as a Server and Desktop.

Really, what is the difference between CentOS and Ubuntu.

Thanks

Ed

Ubuntu is pretty close to the bleeding edge of Linux' evolution.

CentOS is probably a couple of years behind it, and will stay that way.

Ubuntu has a very active, and apparently very young, brash, and inexperienced user community. It's easy to find a ton of advice on any subject, but much of it is wrong.

CentOS', ahem, upstream provider, comprises professional people supporting installations that absolutely must be running when they are needed. Advice is slightly harder to find, but more likely to be correct.

re:
very active, and apparently very young, brash, and inexperienced user community. It's easy to find a ton of advice on any subject, but much of it is wrong

I am curious as to what experience you had that causes you to take such a stance? While I don't exactly disagree with you, I am surprised by the vehemence of your comment.

I realize that Ubuntu is popular, and after having experimented with different distributions, settled on it myself. Yes, I agree that it is a very popular distribution, that has a very active community and you need to be careful about the advice, especially if you are new and or in over your head. Having said, that, I don't consider myself to be either, young, brash, nor inexperienced being almost 40 and having gotten my first computer 32 years ago.

Okay, maybe 'wrong' is too strong a word. Ubuntuphiles trip over each other trying to help, and some/many offer the right solution to the wrong problem, as in "This ___ worked for me..."<when 'me' had a completely different problem>.

CentOS is basically Redhat; it's well tested and solid. Ubuntu is more 'bleeding edge', but due to the size of it's user base (and a large portion of them being novices), you are far more likely to find answers to problems encountered.

All,

I was able to install the CentOS, using the following: Server, Server-GUI, Desktop and Desktop-GUI.

Now my issue, using the CentOS Bible (stereo equipment), I am having a hard time installing programs (applications), like Wine, Open Office, etc. I know Open Office is already installed, but it is an older version but trying to update it.

I do have downloads on an external HD and when I use the "yum local..." it doesn't work.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks

Ed

Another good one, from a hardware perspective, coming from someone with a little Linux experience (mostly just tinkering) is Mandriva Linux. It's similar to Ubuntu in the bleeding-edge category, and at least when I tried it a few years ago, it had better hardware support than anything else... of the ones I tried. I tried a handful of different distros at the time. Since then, whenever I tinker any with Linux, though, it's usually Ubuntu.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

I suggest that you get the Puppy distribution. At least for initial try outs. It runs completely in memory and has almost anything you might need. It also can be transferred to a USB stick. I did this and can boot any computer which has a USB port with it. It is really helpful for repairs of hard drive problems and gives you a very good feeling for Linux.
Regards

Jurgen

Thanks for the advice. I have moved over to Ubuntu Server and Ubuntu Desktop (Edubuntu).

Thje only thing now is to set up the Group Profiles (roaming), Print server, Web Server and Email Server.

HEY, Fun Times

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back