Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Choosing a Dell Server for eCommerce Application

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2004
US
Within the next 6 months or so i'll need to look at purchasing a dedicated server for an eCommerce project. Maybe 10,000 - 25,000 hits a day max. I've already got my server co-location figured out here locally, but am debating what i'll do for hardware.

I was looking at some of Dell's offered servers (PowerEdge 2800 dual 3ghz Xeon's, RAID 1 array, 4gb ram, etc)..

Does anyone have any suggestions for a server with the above mentioned traffic criteria (10-25k unique users a day and ~50gb bandwidth a month?)?

Suggestions are appreciated!
P.S. Server will be running PHP5 & MySQL or MSSQL primarily.

Difficult to say really, I'd use a load tester and get a Dell system on 30-day loan if I were you. The spec you mention seems reasonable although 4GB RAM may be a little excessive. Are you looking at jsut a single server though? That seems pretty risky to me for eCommerce, I'd look at 2 or 3 servers behind a load balancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back