Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Choice of Smart Array Controller on DL380 G1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cognitive

Technical User
Feb 10, 2004
US
I'm a newbie with array controllers, but am preparing to install on a DL380 G1 (2x933MHz, 1GB). Besides serving files, the target OS (Win Server 2003) will run SBS2003. ONLY 4 INTERNAL DRIVES WILL BE USED, along with a SCSI DAT tape and a SCSI CD writer. No external drives. I have both an integrated SmartArray Controller and a SmartArray 3200 Controller (with 2 internal ports) available. I tentatively lean towards the integrated controller, as it is smaller and simpler (less to break, requires no slot, etc.). Can anyone advise me as to whether (and for what reasons) I should use the 3200 instead? The intended disk configuration will be Disk 0 (SBS2003 & apps, not RAIDed), and Disks 1-3 (72GB each) running RAID5 for a 140+ GB NTFS data partition. Any helpful advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

Definitely use the 3200 controller. The integrated controller has no write caching which makes it horribly slow because the OS has to wait for write acknowlegements.

For example, I ran a database on a DL380 with dual 933MHz P3s and the integrated controller was much slower than the same database running on an old ProLiant 800 with dual 200MHz PPros and a Smart2-DH controller. I threw a SA5302 in the DL380 and it screams.

-Jeff

Thanks, Jeff -- that's just the kind of information I was looking for. I'll use the 3200.

Speaking of Proliant 800's . . .

I have a Proliant 800 that I'm using as a bare bones web server. I want to put an array controller in but can't decide what would be most suitable and cost effective. I have several 9.1 GB 10K Ultra2 drives that I want to use. I know the machine was supposed to have a Smart Array 431 controller originally. It has none now and I'm looking for a replacement. Advice would be most appreciated.

Brian

Brian,

You can usually pick up Smart-2DH controllers on Ebay for $10-$20 which work great with the Proliant 800. If you want to spend more and squeeze a bit more performance out of the machine, a 3200 or 4200 will work too. Expect to pay around $70 for them on Ebay.

-Jeff

How about the 2P. Looks like it has twice the transfer rate. Will it work in a Proliant 800? Thanks for the response!

Brian

Brian,

The 2P and 2DH controllers are identical. The difference is that the 2P has only 4MB of cache while the 2DH has 16MB.

-Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back