Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Choice of Primary key datatype

Status
Not open for further replies.

spaliwal

Programmer
Dec 28, 2001
IN
Hi,

We are in development phase of an Internet application of around 200 tables and 1.5 - 2 GB of expected data volume with around 200 net users at a time.
Database server is sql server 2000 , we are using OID varchar(32) as a non business key primary key to every table , and this OID is used as a FK whereever Parent-Child relationsship exists.
OID is a system wide unique number we are generating it from a seed table SequenceOID which contains a single row of last no. used for OID. From a stored procedure we are accessing the no. from SequenceOID table and in the same Stored procedure we are updating the table field value to next incremented no.

I am in doubt will it work when system is in Production , since everywhere in the system same procedure is calling for OID generation.

If you are really generating a number why are you storing in in a varchar(32)? Store it in a int or if you expect your tables to get really huge in a bigint. Even a big int field is only 8 bytes which is 4 times smaller than the field you are using. Also why do you need a system wide unique number, generally a number that is unique for that table is quite sufficient? I use a similar stored proc. technique but I pass in the table name and keep a counter for each table. I also only use this on tables where I need to know the key ahead of time because I will also be populating a child table at the same time, on those tables where this is not the case I just use a normal system incrementing field.

Hi fluteplr,

Thanks a lot ! actually its too late now to change datatype to int datatype , Yes If no.is not system wide unique then we can use your way of doing it will works fine , but still if we need system wide unique no.what is the best way you can suggest.Uniqueidentifier and newid() is one of the way which works , but it needs all the table PK-FK datatypes change to uniqueidentifier , also GUID is not easy to remember or ease of use.
We also dont know how to handle uniqueidentifier in java , if you are anybody is having any idea pl. suggest. Pl. suggest for any alternate method also.

Thanks,

Shailesh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back