Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CHKDSK

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDEdwards

Technical User
Apr 15, 2002
US
Where is the scheduler that runs CHKDSK? b/c for some reason it runs on every startup, and I wish to uh.. make it not run on every startup :)

Check the Scheduled Tasks in the Control Pannel .. May be it is there ,, Or check the Autoexec.bat !
if you fail I will try to help you through Registry ,, Eng.Mohamed Farid
CCNA , BCRAN , BCSN , BCMSN

it isnt in the scheduled tasks, as for my autoexec.bat, it's empty.

in the Registry check this link :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

see if the CHKDSK in there ?! Eng.Mohamed Farid
Cisco Certified Network Associated ,,
Building Cisco Remote Access Network Certified ,,
Routing Cisoc Networks Certified ,,
Switching Networks Cisco Cerified ,,

You might want to run chkntfs (drive): at the command prompt to see if a "dirty bit" has been set that is triggering the autochk function. If this bit has been set by some other problem (like a recent installation) it will continue to trigger a check. You might want to run a full scan with fixes enabled. You can do this by going to the properties of the drive>tools>error checking and allow it to fix errors. It will schedule a full scan next reboot and fix any errors it finds. We had a problem where I am working with this scan running every boot and the scandisk help stop it in most instances.

okay, it wasnt in the registry, but as for the CHKNTFS, it did work, and hte drive was indeed dirty. I ran a FULL (took forever) check of the disk, and now it says the drive is not dirty. It looks like the problem might be solved! thanks everyone for helping

chkntfs was trying to start everytime as MikeRG2 was saying
and I was trying to remove it from the Run programs
anyway I think the Problem was solved , The chkntfs was trying to check teh Drive after a bad installation or a bad uninstallation ...
Eng.Mohamed Farid
Cisco Certified Network Associated ,,
Building Cisco Remote Access Network Certified ,,
Routing Cisoc Networks Certified ,,
Switching Networks Cisco Certified ,,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back