Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chkdsk "Replacing invalid security id with default security id" 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wahnula

Technical User
Jun 26, 2005
US
Hello all,

My home PC has a RAID 1, 2 partitions, 35GB for XP Pro (C:) and 250 for (D:) Data. I swap out one of the RAID 1 drives periodically to have a full backup of OS & data as well as an additional external data backup. There is a third drive with Windows 7 RC. After booting to Win7 & updating, upon mandatory reboot I get the typical CHKDSK message "one of your disks needs to be checked for consistency" followed by a re-writing of "File 9" attributes and about 100,000 instances of "Replacing invalid security id with default security id for file filename xxxx".

After CHKDSK completes, the XP install is hosed, lots of startup errors, no copy/paste, no systray, no quick launch, etc. My research led me to:

which was useless. So, I replaced one of the RAID 1 drives with the backup and rebuilt the array, convinced it was a one-time deal. Worked great, but today, again after Win7 Update, the same thing happened, with the same results.

I'm probably just going to keep Win7 as my main OS on a separate disk, but any ideas why this is happening to my XP OS partition? I am not manipulating the partition in any fashion. The data partition is 100% OK. I have one last system backup but I'm afraid it's just going to get hosed as well after my next Win7 update.

I don't see this in Win 7 forums, most references to this issue appear years ago. I'd like to keep a working XP partition along with my Win 7 disk (I plan to treat myself to an SSD for Xmas for Win7) but I will undoubtedly go insane if they cannot reside on the same PC.

I'd love to hear any ideas out there.

Gear:
Asus P5W-DH, Core 2 Duo 6600, 4GB RAM, ICH7 Seagate 320GB RAID 1, SilImage controller for Win7 on a WD Raptor, Nexus 600W PSU.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Which version of ChkDsk is checking the XP Partition, is it the Windows 7 Release Candidate version? Do you have your booting files on the XP Partition, if so can they be swapped to the Windows 7 Partition?

I have seen similar problems (Raid was not involved) that occurred in Vista, but this was from manually running ChkDsk, not from any automatically launched ChkDsk. The workaround (in my circumstances only) was to run ChkDsk in Read-Only mode by not checking any of the boxes (or by not using any parameters). If the Read-Only mode indicated errors then I would use the additional options but only if they were indicated as being required. One benefit of this was a very fast ChkDsk in Read-Only mode.

Here are some links from when I first encountered this problem. I believe it to be an unresolved bug in Vista, so it may have been carried over to Windows 7? Your "File 9" gets a mention.

Is ChkDsk still a worry when run in Vista?

Maybe you can use this in Windows 7?

"The only way to disable a chkdsk /f /r is to remove the line from the BootExecute value that references this command".

CHKNTFS.EXE: What You Can Use It For

You might have to make use of a batch file, or similar, run at logoff and/or startup, or just block ChkDsk from running somehow?

linney,

Thanks for the reply. First time, CHKDSK was run by Win7 RC, right after a mandatory reboot after updating. While CHKDSK was doing its thing, I was researching the issue on another PC and thought "this is bad" and powered the machine off, removed the Win7 disk (all disks are hot-swap) and booted into XP, where the exact same CHKDSK process continued in XP with the same result.

The second time, I aborted CHKDSK by pulling the disk (rude I know) during the File 9 phase of the Win7 CHKDSK routine, hoping to catch it before it started its destruction. The disk would not boot, tried FIXMBR and FIXBOOT. I say disk and not disks because after the first issue I pulled one of the RAID 1 disks out for safekeeping during Win7 adventures.

Your links did lead me to a repair procedure:

...but I think I'll probably take this opportunity to pull the plug on XP. My main reason for keeping it was issues with how text is rendered and the default fonts in Vista & 7, but I've found a workaround and I don't have any compelling reasons to keep XP at the moment. Time marches on...thanks again for your help.

Tony

Users helping Users...

That is some repair solution (not for the feint hearted). Thanks for posting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back