Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chip Overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

bristlesr

Technical User
May 21, 2001
AU
Hey All,

I Have an Athlon XP 1700+ with Copper Shim Paste and a AMD 1900+ approved fan/heatsink on an ASUS A7V-266E and i am getting temperatures of about 65 degrees celcius when i use ASUS Probe 2. Now i know ASUS Probe 2 is a bit off with it's measurements but thats still way way way too hot.

Is there any cheap, quick way of correcting this without breaking the bank for a 50-100 fan of god. And is there a QUIETER ALTERNATIVE!!!!!!!!

bristlesr

I suspect asus probe is more than a bit off. I get similar readings for my duron 800, yet the same cpu in the same case with the same heatsink / fan but on a different motherboard was giving readings of 45 - 50. I have had absolutely no stability problems with the asus although reported cpu temps can be as high as 70 degrees.

Maybe a couple of case fans would do the trick - to improve airflow. You may need to hunt a bit for some quiet ones!

CE

I Have an XP 1700+ on an Abit KR7 raid 133, it idles at about 45C and max's at 53C in a standard Midi case with two extra 80mm case fans (front lower drawing in cool air) from outside, and top back Exhausting.
These fans generally lower the CPU temps by anything up to 15C depending on climate and layout.
Certainly expect to see 8-10C improvement.
Case fans about $7 each, very cheap for such a drop in temp. Martin Vote if you found this post helpful please!!

When you say you're using "Copper Shim Paste", do you mean you're using a copper gasket (shim) and some heatsink compound (paste), or just the compound on its own? I found that a friend's machine using a gasket (and compound!) dropped the operating temperature on an XP 1600 by more 10 deg C.

ROGER - GØAOZ.

With an air cooled CPU, it is vitally important that the air that your CPU fan is blowing onto the heatsink is NOT already warmed up by the computers other internal components!!
This is why it is so necessary to get the cool air in and the warm air out!! as quickly as possible.

Aluminium cases also help!! because they act like a giant heatsink!!
Full towers run cooler because the hot air rises into the empty void above the drives and motherboard.
Just some food for thought!! Martin Vote if you found this post helpful please!!

The video card may need an empty slot for a slot fan to cool it too. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back