Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chinese characters and corrupted databases. Getting worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iseingix

Programmer
Oct 26, 2002
US
I have two databases to manage Purchase Orders: 2011 and 2012. I needed to know which suppliers had a spend over $100,000 and which were contractors. I used the 2011 DB because it would have the most data. The queries worked fine, I put them into a report and it printed correctly. But when I imported them to the 2012 database, the Comments field filed with chinese characters. And, you guessed it, no back up (apparently the company DOESN"T back up the shared drives...).

I started by deleting the query and starting again - No Go. Then I deleted that field from the table, compact & repair and replace the data. Still Chinese. Then I changed the memo field to a text field (loosing part of my data) and that seemed to work.

Now I'm back in the 2011 DB, which I thought wasn't corrupted. I need to see the top 5 commodities and account numbers by team. My first query for the account number worked perfectly. It tells me the team, the account string, description and the number of times it was used last year. I copied that query so I could use it to pull the same data on the commodity. The data pulls fine, but the second I try to group the data or count the occurances, I get chinese in the description field.

I've done some reading on the subject and I'm not getting the answers I need.

I can't change this field to a text field because the descriptions are too long, so I don't know how to fix this.

I've also read that this problem could be bigger than just a few queries, but I'm unsure what to do next. I thought, worse case, I would have to grab an old database, add the tables, queries, forms and reports I spent two months creating and re-adding the data, but since my latest version of 2011 is corrupt now I'm not sure what to do!

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Ise

1.what version of access are you using?

2.have all updates been done to office?

3.most importantly do a backup off site of the data

HTH << MaZeWorX >> "I have not failed I have only found ten thousand ways that don't work" <<Edison>>

It's Access 2007, it's probably not updated by my company and I was told IT does nightly back ups, I just can't seem to get IT to send me the files... After a week of not getting anything done, I'm just going to start from scratch.

Thanks for replying.

Sounds like its time to take it to the next higher level manager? light a fire under IT and if its not updated get it updated as i would expect it will repeat its self in the future

HTH << MaZeWorX >> "I have not failed I have only found ten thousand ways that don't work" <<Edison>>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back