Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CHINA: Ministries told to dump Microsoft, other foreign products

Status
Not open for further replies.
European cities have also recently decided to move their systems to Linux, most recently Munich this past June. A visit from Steve Ballmer wasn't enough to help Microsoft beat out SuSe. It's one of the reasons Microsoft has been cutting prices on products like SQL.

Shouldn't be doing business with china anyways. May as well go ahead and cut your own throat if you are.

Maybe this might make Bill pull all of their manufacturing of various things out of there, but I doubt it.

Robert

China is one quarter of the world's population and the fastest growing world economy. It's definitely good news for Linux.

Will this result in less viral activity coming from from Chinese computers, I wonder?

News and views of some obscure guy

The way I read the original article it implies that the Linux code used within the country must be written within China. We all know that code is written worldwide, not just in that particular part of the world.
What are the Chinese authorities going to do about open source code developed outside of their territories? Are they going to have programmers write their own version?

John

My guess is that it's two-fold reasoning: economic and security.

If it's free, they're not spending abroad, and if it's open source, they can examine the code for vulnerabilities.
I'm sure they don't mean their programmers to rewrite every program that comes over!

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Seems like a crock. How much of Linux was developed in China?

I'd buy into economic explanations like manarth suggests though I'm less sure about security issues. If that was strong motivation I'd think there'd be a push for OpenBSD on any servers where it makes sense.

I'm not a patriot for any flavor of open-source *nix, but I suspect the recent security headaches will make OpenBSD a no-brainer choice once it offers SMP support. I'm not making accusations or trying to tear it down, but I get the impression that many recent Linux distributions are becoming weak in this regard just because they do install so many applications and services by default. I've seen SuSe cited as an extreme example of this (but I could have merely been reading one wacko's opinion).

Anyone closer to the facts? I'm not trolling, just asking for info.

My limited knowledge and biases make me suspect the whole thing is just political and economic though. Maybe Sun, Microsoft, HP, etc. simply haven't made big enough investments in China yet to satisfy those folks. Remember, it seems unlikely they'll be buying distributions from Red Hat, IBM, or anybody like that. Painting a picture of a huge potential market headed over the horizon could be a ploy to get something out of western OS vendors.

But this is reading more like a &quot;Where is IT Going...&quot; thread at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back