Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Child processes "reaping"

Status
Not open for further replies.

1yura1

Programmer
Feb 7, 2003
UA
Hello,

I use 'system' to execute another programs.
When executed processe fork another child processe(s), and this processe stop or not respond, 'system' not receive any signals from it.

Then I need to write my own processes "reaper" for my second, third, ... level child processes.
Does anybody did that before?

Thanks.
Yura.

Yura,

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner. I did some thinking about this and I don't see a way to, directly, reap a "grandchild" process - a process started by a child process. Return codes from granchildren will have to be reaped by the children I think.

Mike

"Deliver me from the bane of civilised life; teddy bear envy."

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at faq219-2884

You could use storable.pm to store details on each of your offspring, and have a seperate process read through this list, and if it hasn't posted a return code within an acceptable timeframe, just kill the process

--Just a thought
--Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back