Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Child Domain users need to enter Outlook credentials

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobolito

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2003
US
Our Exchange mail server is on the parent domain and all the accounts are there as well. However, we also have a child domain with some user accounts. These user accounts are duplicate from those on the parent domain. I have the users on the child domain login to Windows to their child domain rather than the parent domain. However, the mail account that Outlook 2003 is accessing is on the parent DC. This causes Outlook to prompt for credentials every time the child account users open Outlook. Users can access their email with no problem after this. However, when the users login to the parent domain (by choosing the parent domain in the "Log on to" at the Windows login box), then Outlook does not ask for credentials and it goes straight in and it works fine. So I've noticed this is just a matter of having Outlook login to the correct domain.

How can I instruct Outlook to login to the parent domain automatically rather than asking for credentials every time the child user accounts log in?

I have certain Group Policies that apply to the child users and that's why I prefer to have the Windows accounts in the child domain. But I have no control over the parent domain accounts as someone else manages that in our company.

Basically, I just want Outlook to stop asking for credentials whenever the child users open it. Any way to do that?

Would this be a domain trust question???

Seriously, I'm not sure. But, I have a similar setup that I inhereted and I don't get prompted for credentials. The only thing I can think of off hand is for the child to trust the parent...

Maybe someone else could extrapulate on that.

I hope you find this post helpful,

Jonathan Almquist
Minneapolis, MN

I added the ParentDomain\Domain Users group to the local Users Group hoping that that would do it, but no dice. I also did the opposite adding the ChildDomain\Domain Users group to the Parent Domain Users local group and that did not help either. I remember back in Windows NT how you could setup the domain trusts, but now in Server 2003, I don't see anything called "domain trusts", I guess that by adding the global groups to the local groups is the way its done?

You should have an Active Directory Domains and trusts on the 2003 DC that you'd setup the trust from.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.
The poster formerly known as lander215

Yes, I checked there (forgot about that), but the trusts are already established there, two-way between the parent and the child domain. So there's nothing else to do there.

If you look at the Access tab for the virtual SMTP server in ESM, what options do you have selected under the Authentication button?

I hope you find this post helpful,

Jonathan Almquist
Minneapolis, MN

Thanks monsterjta for your suggestion. Unfortunately, I only manage the child domain so I don't have access to the mail server which is in the parent domain. I will have to get in contact with the administrator there to find that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back