Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cheesy Conversion of a Word 2000 document to HTML 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardii

Programmer
Jan 8, 2001
GB
We have a 7.5MB word doc to convert to HTML. There are many bookmarks and cross reference fields which we would like to convert to hyperlinks (without doing it manually in Word).

We will have to split the document into an HTML file per section (of which there are 12).

Has anyone got any tips/ideas on how to go about this unpleasant task.

Thanks!!

How does it come out when you use Word 2000 to save as html? Have you tried Frontpage 2000 on the doc?

Problem with saving as HTML is that the bookmarks don't convert to hyperlinks, and the cross refs to Tables/Figures don't convert to hyperlinks.

PDF is great, but we still have the problem that the source (word doc) is prone to corruption - client wants it as HTML though!!

Why do you say the source word doc is prone to corruption?? I don't understand that statement. Perhaps we need to start there?
techsupportgirl@home.com
Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word

Maybe I am missing something why not copy paste in frontpage make the hyperlinks in there and open the html tab copy that and send them that.

I am having the same problem a Richardii except that I am creating HTML help from the word documents.

Regarding why we don't just copy and paste to frontpage and maually do the links is that, in my case, the table of contents is siz pages long and the index is at least a couple of pages long. Do that manually is a royal pain in the back side. No to mention if you change the original document and want to recreate the HTML files again(I realize you would probably just edit the HTML file if you have to make any changes) you would have to go through and create all those links again. Not exactly what I want to spend my time doing.

Covert to PDF and then convert to HTML using a "free" conversion at
They convert the PDF to html and it works VERY well.. I used a file with both pictures and columns of text and it got it all and kept the formating. The hope is you will be impressed enough to buy the package. There is a size limit.. 5 meg I think but check it out.

Mike S

"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back