Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cheeky question? What skills do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

groovygarden

Programmer
Aug 23, 2001
Having worked on intranets for several years, and now faced with redundancy, I am thinking about relaunching myself and trying to get a job developing web (internet) pages, and, if possible, writing content for the pages too

Bit of a cheeky brain-picking question perhaps, but I was wondering what you think are the main skills I should have as a web developer? Developing intranet pages/mini-sites for massive companies has been quite restrictive in terms of design (generally already defined before I get there) and the technology I can use. Plus they kept trying to make me use their pesky content management systems.

I can handcode XHTML (though need a dictionary beside me to look up the odd thing), I understand what I can do with CSS (though need to refer to a book/web when writing the code), and I am excellent at stealing JavaScript code. I did a bit of PHP/MySQL at uni, but that is now a very distant memory. I don't have any real design experience.

I have 3 months til I get made redundant - what skills should I try and develop in this time?

Thanks

IMO most important skill is to be able to get potential clients to believe in you. From my side of things, web design and scripting, designing the site is the easy part.

Keith

Are you looking to work for somebody else as a salaried web developer? If so, look around the job market sites and see what skills they're looking for.

If you're looking to freelance on your own account, and make enough cash to live on, you've got a lot to do in three months. Like audiopro says, you've gotta find clients from somewhere.

Either way, I'd advise you to start building up a portfolio. Pick a subject you're interested in, a club you belong to, and/or a local "good cause" that needs a website and get building. Make three or four and try to make them as different as possible, explore different technologies, etc. Shop around for Reseller hosting accounts so you can run multiple sites and host clients' sites too.

That way you'll be learning-by-doing (always the best way IMO) and have something to show to potential employers/clients at the end of it too.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Like Chris says - start building up a portfolio.

Some kind of server side scripting language is required, in my opinion - PHP & || ASP ... if you want to be a coder.

Another way would be to get to know some of the CMS (content management systems) - some are free; some you have to pay for.

Coldfusion could be another way.

Content writing requires skills in communication. You may have that already. Or you could learn.

Best if you make up your mind if you want to be a coder or a writer - or perhaps both.

Regards

Forums @ tek-tips to get you started:

HTML, XHTML & CSS : forum215
Javascript : forum216
VBScript : forum329
CMS : forum1246
PHP : forum434
ASP : forum333
My own development as a professional : forum654

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.