Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Checkpoint resource compared to PIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

jolly403

MIS
Jul 5, 2005
Regarding another of my posts on tradional VPN setup, quite often I consider switching to a Cisco PIX firewall. I'm hesitant to do that partly based on a lack of knowledge of PIX working concepts. I can get around a Cisco router command line and get a router to function, but the PIX makes me a little hesitant especially since I have several years of working with Checkpoint now and am comfortable with it (which might be a good reason not to switch).

One of the questions I would pose to anyone who has good working knowledge of both Checkpoint and PIX is:

In my current Checkpoint FW I employ SMTP resources-mainly for additional anti-relay benefits as well as stripping mime/partial messages (that checkbox on the third tab of the SMTP resource window). My public DNS MX record points to the external interface of the firewall-once there the smtp resource delivers the mail on to an internal virus/spam filtering machine which forwards it on to the actual mail server.

Does the PIX have a similar functionality? If so what would it be properly called so that I can read up on it?

Differing opinions?

Much regards
Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back